Apparently on the radio yesterday the phrase “make or break year” was tossed out in regards to Mike Shanahan's job security with the Redskins for the upcoming 2013 season.
This is obviously a patently ridiculous argument, but it got under my skin* for some reason and I feel compelled to respond.
Here’s why this is so stupid:
- There is no shortage of things to complain about with this team. RGII’s knee, Orakpo coming back, keeping the offense fresh as league defenses adapt to the pistol, and a secondary filled with DeAngelo Hall clones, to name a few. The job security of Shanahan and his staff shouldn’t even register on the list.
- The Redskins won the division. Does that count for nothing? Dumb, corny people love to say “it’s a 'what have you done for me lately' league”. Lately Mike Shanahan led the Skins to their first division title in 13 years.
- The Skins were an RGKnee away from going to Atlanta for a chance to make the NFC Championship game. Argue about Shanahan leaving RGIII in after the initial injury if you must, but the injury itself wasn’t Shanahan’s fault. It’s childish to assign any blame there.
- Mike Shanahan, the Coach, has installed the top rushing offense in the league and #5 overall. Mike Shanahan, the personnel guy, selected the league’s #2 rusher with a 6th round pick.
- Let’s take your crazy "Fire Shanahan" logic for a walk and assume the Skins finish 8-8 and don’t make the playoffs this year. Because you put Shanahan on the hotseat, he is fired at the end of the year. Who do you hire to replace him? Who will you bring in that will put RGIII in the same position to succeed as the Shanahans have? You realize what a high bar of success that is right? What coach out there is ready to take that on?
It's a stupid argument that barely needs to be addressed, but there you go. What a giant waste of everyone's time.